I hate to admit it, but I'm not much of a goal setter. This time last year I made a list of 12 things I wanted to accomplish in my home during 2012, and sort-of kept them in the back of my mind but didn't refer back to my list throughout the year. So as I revisited the post from last year, I was a bit curious to see how many things off of the list got done.
Here's a quick re-cap of the 2012 list:
1) Paint and Reupholster Dining Room Host Chairs-Check! (full post here)
2) Redo Dining Room-Half-Way done?
3) Redo Master Bedroom-Only the painting has been done. It took me a while to decide a direction for this room-still working on it but we're on the right track!
4) Finish our Kitchen-Done, for now. I actually can't remember what I still needed to do when I made this goal, but I showed you our kitchen here.
6) Major trim touch up-Nope. Not even started.
7) Organize my closet-Not sure on this one. I have cleaned it out several times, but it seems to always find a way to explode again!
8) Master Bath Redo- Nope. Not even started.
9) Back yard clean-up-Not so much. It looked ok for the summer but we'd really like to do more.
10) Clean out/re-organize the garage-Ehhh, it's hopeless. Sort-of like my closet. We clean, and it explodes again! I think the curse of a DIYer-at least this one-is a messy garage!
11) Put the finishing touches on my son's room-Half way done. I showed you where we are here.
12) Have lots of people over, relax, and enjoy the company-Check! Sort of. We love to have company and do so fairly often, but it's always a mad dash to be ready before that doorbell rings!
In my defense, some big projects popped up out of the blue that I hadn't even planned on doing last year,
Breakfast Nook Update
Thrifted Coffee Table Upgrade
Wall of Mirrors
so I still feel that some good things were accomplished, even if they weren't on the list.
I definitely need to carry over some projects into 2013. So, here's a new
1) Finish the Dining Room. I haven't mentioned it, but I finally have all of the parts and pieces! I finally found a china cab on CL, the carpenter returned my new
|The Dining Room Plan|
2) My Master Bedroom-Obviously, from the photo above, it's a blank slate. Soon I have some thoughts on it to share with you. One thing is for sure, this will be the drapery fabric.
3) Backyard-We've lost a few big trees over the last hot summers. Before replanting, we want to come up with a "big picture" plan. We'd like to incorporate a fire pit and seating area out in the yard, as well as a master landscaping plan.
|(photo from Craig's List)|
We really enjoyed having a love seat at the kitchen table, and this one is a smaller scale than the red one that was in there. It's half-way stripped down and I have a fun graphic fabric all ready to go!
5) Master Bath Reno-I don't think I've ever shown you the current state of our bathroom.
We put in new tile and painted a few years ago, but it desperately needs new vanity tops, faucets, lighting, and I'm thinking about having the shower re-tiled and the sliding mirrored doors taken out and replaced with a single regular door. And, new paint to match the bedroom.
6) My son's room-on the list again. We'd like to move him up to a bigger bed, which means a new headboard and bedding, and I have a special wall treatment and some fun nightstands in mind.
7) A major personal goal, although not very blog-worthy: Declutter! I feel as if every nook and cranny in this house is stuffed to the gills with...stuff! (Because it is!) It's time for things to go!
And with that, I think I'll stop. With the twists and turns that life throws in every day, I know if I get these 7 things accomplished in 2013 it will be a major victory!