I'm SO happy to finally be showing you my new dining room chairs today!
I love how it adds a burst of color to the neutral room and houndstooth drapes.
These wingbacks are a little different than most since they have the wood wing and arm rather that an upholstered one. That was a big bonus to me since they will be used at the dining room table-no food swiped on the arms! I've done somewhat of a tutorial, but I got off easy because I didn't have to deal with those arms. I tried to group these photos up so there wouldn't be so many.
The seat unscrewed from the bottom, so it was easy to remove and wrap just like you would recover a regular chair seat. I kept the original foam but beefed up the seats a bit by adding a 2" layer of padding (sold by the yard at Hobby Lobby). I did not want the seat to be tufted like the original, so I turned the foam upside down and filled in the holes with scraps of foam and batting. Then, I wrapped all of the layers in a sheet of high-loft batting, stapling around the edges. Finally the dropcloth was wrapped around and stapled tightly, and excess was trimmed.
Certainly not perfect, but I'm happy with the result of my first real upholstery attempt!
Let's just see how far these little beauties have come...
From so, so sad-
*UPDATE: I changed the fabric on the backs of the chairs to a long time favorite. Click here to read the details!