Back in February I showed you our kitchen and the changes we've made since we've lived in this house. Today I want to show you how we disguised the dated backsplash. Here's what we had when we moved in:
White squares with a red and green stripe. Perfect in the mid-90's when the house was built. Today, not so much. After moving in we did an initial kitchen redo, mainly cosmetic-stripped wallpaper, textured, painted, switched out the faucet and kitchen cabinet hardware. We knew we wanted to do some more major renovations in the future, but in the mean time looked for an alternative for the backsplash.
Here's what we used:
These are plastic squares that look like tin and come in a variety of colors. They were in stock at Lowe's and Home Depot at the time and I believe they still carry them. The beauty of these panels is that they are easy to install, can be cut with scissors, and can be temporary or permanent.
At this point in our kitchen redo, we used the first colored tile, "Bermuda Bronze".
It's a mixture of gold and silver.
Corner and edge trim pieces are also available that match the finish of the color you choose. This is a corner piece. The panel slides in that flat slot and the curved top piece covers where the corners meet.
Because I was wanting to use this over my existing tile, the pre-made edge pieces weren't deep enough to conceal the edges of the tile backsplash. So, I found this piece in the regular trim department at Home Depot. It is plastic and also easy to work with. But, it's white and didn't match the bronze tiles.
They also sell sheets of sticky paper-like contact paper-that match the finish of the "tin" squares you've chosen. Their purpose is for covering switch plates and outlet covers, but I also used some to cover the edge of this homemade trim piece so everything would blend together. You can see in the photo above the finish paper applied to the top of the trim piece. With this piece, the panel would slip in the front section of the trim, and the back section covers the tile and wraps all the way around the edge of the tile.
Since this was a temporary fix, we used double sided tape to adhere the panels to the tile. Worked like a charm. We never had one problem with it.
After our major remodel, I planned to use the same panels, but once we got all of the new colors together the "bermuda bronze" looked terrible with the new granite and painted cabinets. So, I painted it. First I used a layer of Krylon Fusion spray paint that is specifically for plastics. Color didn't matter, I just used that like a primer. Then, I did another coat or two with Rustoleum's Oil-Rubbed Bronze.
We actually did tear out the old tile during the remodel, so this isn't just covering it up anymore. I used my trusty hot glue gun to install it this time. We will probably still do something different with the backsplash in the future, so I didn't want to use a lot of permanent construction adhesive. If we need to I'll just peel this off and the wall will be ready for something else.
I have a section of counter/bar that is at an angle. These panels are flexible, so all I had to do was follow the wall around and glue it down. It conformed to the shape of the wall.
My dad ran a line of black caulk along the bottom edge to prevent water from getting under and behind the panels. This time I chose a chunkier piece of wood trim and painted it to match, then hot glued it right up there too.
Here's a link for the product if you're interested:
Linking up with